Friday 22 March 2019

Ev's Challenge - The Final Chapter

So the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge has come to an end for another year. And what a ride it's been! I've minioned for the first time (big shout-out to the Wednesday Warriors!), and I've produced a varied assembly of fantasy figures.

So what have I learned?

  • Preparation, above all. While I could get away with doing things on the fly in previous years, work commitments plus the weekly minioning meant that I really should have gone in with a proper plan. I'm severely ADHD and a worrier by nature, so lack of preparation really is the enemy.
  • Try and vary the subject matter. I have so many historical, 40K and horror figs still in the lead mountain, yet this time round it was almost all fantasy, and I think this got me in a bit of a rut. 
  • Realistic targets. After last year, when I actually cracked 500 points, I thought I could do the same again. Not so, topped out at 479, worse luck! Time and resources are limited, and I have to take this into account next time.
Anyway, enough of the self-reproach, here's the last of my submissions for Challenge IX!


 An Oldhammer-ish Witch Hunter, a figure from the old Warhammer Quest boardgame. I have a lot of affection for these old sculpts.


A command section for a unit of Sun Dome Templars, the elite pikemen of RuneQuest's cult of Yelmalio. Aventine Miniatures Tarentine Phalanx, repurposed for Glorantha.


A terrain entry, a ruined Gloranthan temple to the River God Zola Fel. Despite its desolate and desert appearance, it was entered in the 'Water Feature' bonus round on the basis of its frescoes.


The remainder of the Sun Dome unit. I do like how they turned out!


A Reaper Bones Griffin - Reaper has given price-conscious gamers a cheap and easy way to get big flashy monsters onto the tabletop, and I am very happy with this big guy.


Here's the last of my Dwarven Blood Bowl team, the Durinhold Tectonics. Finally, they can compete in the big leagues! 1990s sculpts from Citadel's Gary Morley, loads of character.



Reaper Bones Brain-In-A-Jar™, aka Mr Akeley. This one, and the Mi-Go, were the only non-fantasy entries in my Challenge. Really have to mix things up a bit more next time...



Following up from the unfortunate Mr Akeley, my Curtgeld submission, Gazzzz, the Fungi From Gorgoroth. A cosplaying cosmic horror mashup from the pages of Lovecraft and Tolkien. In keeping with the Challenge's theme, 'Fellowship', he's a Tolkien villain as well as a constant trial to his long-suffering co-worker Bazzzz. Reaper Bones again, with some GW Black Orc and Gripping Beast add-ons!

And that's it from me for this year's Challenge. Will I still be painting and modelling outside Challenge times? I only produced one figure between Challenges VIII and IX; I think I should try and increase my output a bit and see if I can maintain some momentum. It's just wasteful having so many unpainted figs lying around!

So stay tuned...

Ev

10 comments :

  1. Congrats on another great Challenge year for you, Ev. All of your submissions were creative and wonderfully painted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean! Can we persuade you to throw your hat into the ring for next winter?
      : )

      Delete
  2. Some really great paint jobs, well done

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work there buddy. I have that griffin - I must give it a shot.,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Conrad! It's a great model and repays the effort.

      Delete
  4. Cracking effort Ev. Love that water feature. I was so buried in work I totally missed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries mate, I know the feeling. Work has been a big external factor in my own Challenge this year!

      Glad you like it!

      Delete
  5. The temple ruin with the painted wall looks wonderful! Great idea. Cheers, Karl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karl, I was very happy with that one!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...