Sunday, May 28, 2017

55 Hours of Pain-ting

OK, maybe not quite 55 hours but it sure felt like it!

Having decided to pile up the buildings from my 55 Days at Peking project and paint a fair few in a batch it turns out maybe that was biting off a fair bit more than I expected. It's a pretty boring job overall and with things needing two coats plus a dry brush or three that makes for quite a lot of work.

Still, I think the results are overall pretty positive. I now have a decent sized village worth of stuff, plus a small temple, some statues and some trees. Enough for a trial game or two in the near future and certainly enough that I can now start work on a legation or three, knowing that they won't be the only thing on the table when complete.

Loads of photos now so you can tell me what you think...






The trees are meant for fish tanks but when based look pretty cool and certainly feel right. They're a bit bright and shiny but that can be sorted out easily enough down the track. They'll do for now.






That man with a horn will surely disturb the tranquillity of the morning and we all know what happens when you do that!



At the same time as this terrain painting was going on I was also working on another two units of Boxers. There's yet another two on the painting table at the moment about halfway finished so those should also be done by the end of the week. That will take me to 60 all up, nearly the mid point of the Boxer horde. Phew!



So... back to the cork tile now to work on a first legation. There's a pair of temple dogs, some cherry trees and bamboo plus a few extra "set dressing" items in the post now too so lots more terrain on the horizon.

Cheers,
Millsy

Sunday, May 14, 2017

First of the Boxers plus a bit more terrain

After a tumultuous couple of weeks at work, followed by a bout of illness things have returned to something approaching normal this last week. I'm still not that well but have only two days left on the project before having a good break from work starting Wednesday.

This weekend I decided I'd had enough of the cork and for a change painted up my first unit of Boxers as something of a test. Overall I'm not unhappy with them and they are simple enough to paint. En masse and with some flags they will be a bit more impressive I'm sure.




This first mob is a proper rag-tag mix of clothing but for the next couple (already prepped) I'm going to go with something more consistent in terms of colour across each group.


Last week I also managed to snaffle a couple of statues from the local Reject Shop. Once the LED lighting was removed and the holes covered up these we repainted and have come up quite well. Just the basing and a few creepers or moss to do now. My intention is to use these as part of the Palace of Prince Su a.k.a. the Su Wang Fu.


Hopefully I'll find a bit of time on my impending hols to push on and get to a point which I might have enough stuff complete for a test scenario or two.

Cheers,
Millsy
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...