Friday 13 May 2022

A Return of Sorts

It's been a pretty horrible couple of years, hasn't it? 

We've lost loved ones, been beset by fires and floods, and found ourselves in the middle of a pandemic whose overriding theme has become 'let it rip'. It leaves one feeling a bit let down.

But dammit, I mustn't get stuck in the Slough of Despond! 

Or is that the Swamp of Sadness...?

After what has been far too long a hiatus, I decided I had to do something, anything really, to try and unwind from all the depressing garbage the last two years have heaped upon us. Gardening and cooking are all very well, but sometimes you need to get back to your hobby roots.

Of course, as a longtime fan of Greg Stafford's world of Glorantha, I wanted some models which would fit well within a RuneQuest campaign.

So I ordered some figures from Fenris Games, makers of some of the most engagingly weird and wonderful sculpts on the market, and got to work for the first time in ages. Fenris Games have a good many minis suitable for Glorantha, but I settled upon some adventurer types and some chaotic abominations.

First off the bench was this guy;






He's billed as "Lance, Kara'Safra - pumpkin head bear", but all Gloranthaphiles know a Jack O'Bear when they see one! This beastie hits its enemies with a paralyzing gaze before ripping them limb from limb.

Next up was Squidhead Fred, a tentacled monstrosity which haunts the desolate swamps and fens, looking for its next snack (spoilers, it's player characters!). He was a tough one to paint, what with all the arms and differing textures, but he didn't turn out too badly.




Well, it's a start! Getting back into the swing of painting again might be just what I need. Let's see if I can maintain a modicum of momentum.

Stay tuned!

Ev

6 comments :

  1. Great to see your work again Ev. Give the Slough of Despond a wide birth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter, I'm navigating my way out as best I can - thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
  2. Very weird models, Ev! Welcome back! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin, they are decidedly odd models, but true to the spirit of Glorantha. I'm going to forge ahead and see if I can build some momentum 😀

      Delete
  3. Great to see you on the blog again Evan.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...