Wednesday 15 July 2020

Old Dog Learns New (Terrain) Tricks - A Minor Detour

Remember when I said I'd be getting more of those excellent textured rollers from Green Stuff World?


They got here last week! Yay! Together with the round cutters I ordered earlier, I have sorted my pre-industrial urban figure basing needs.

Naturally, I couldn't resist a road test at the earliest opportunity, so I rolled out some DAS and gave them a shot. I can definitely say they do what it says on the tin.


That's a Warbases 40mm MDF base at the left, and the results of the test are to the right. Clockwise from the top left, Cobblestone, Small Cobblestone, the Brick roller (as used on my ruined tower piece from the last post), and Flagstone. No buyer's remorse here!

Of course, that now means that I have to get back to work on my Frostgrave warband, which had kind of stalled at the 'wizards plus two other guys' stage when last we looked...

So six more figures and I'll have a functioning warband. Only taken nearly four years...

What's up next then? Stay tuned!

Ev

16 comments :

  1. Any issues with the DAS sticking to the base? Or to the roller?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I roll the DAS out on a sheet of baking paper, then texture and cut to size. As long as the roller is damp, it shouldn't stick.

      These are test pieces, and I'll try out the rollers with Green Stuff, Milliput, or Sculpey abd see what works best.

      Delete
  2. Well what can you say ... https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/243546292328093633/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well they certainly do look the business. I think I already know the answer, but I am assuming the round cutters are in effect cookie cutters? Roll out the clay, press in the detail and cut the shape to fit the base? Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael, yes, they are a cookie cutter type, making production of basing surfaces quick and easy. The company also makes square cutters, so check them out.

      Delete
    2. Yet more temptation. Just seen they have acquired a UK distributer too.

      Delete
    3. *whispers* you know you want to...
      ; )

      Delete
  4. Great looking bases. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, I'm learning new stuff at every stage of the process!

      Delete
  5. Oh they look good and I have a summer discount code for that company! Sounds the right length of time to lay down a frostgrave warband to me, you mustn't hurry these things!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only fitting that my Frostgrave warband should take shape in glacial time 😉

      Delete
  6. Wonderful looking bases Ev! I purchased several of these rollers a year back and have yet to try them - you've now given me the inspiration to put on my baker's apron and give them a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt - next up I'll be trying Sculpey and Green Stuff and seeing what gets the best results. DAS is pretty fuss free, but it shrinks as it loses moisture, so I'll probably save that for landscape pieces.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...