Sunday 15 January 2017

Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge VII - Day 27, or Doomed to Repeat the Mistakes of the Past

Yes, it's that time of year again, when painters from the four corners of the circular globe gather together to honour their shadowy master, the Snowlord, who resides in his icy fastness in the Frozen North, awaiting the tribute of his followers. 

Translation; proud Canadian and all-round top bloke Curt Campbell of the Analogue Hobbies blog is once more running the annual Painting Challenge, and both Millsy and myself have thrown our hats into the ring. And naturally, my own output is languishing in the doldrums.

Well, no excuses; I'm on 28 points while others have already passed the 1K mark, so I'll just have to pick up the pace!

First out of his box was this handsome fellow;


This is Scibor Miniatures' Santa Snowman Slayer, a dwarven maniac in festive guise. He will fill the Barbarian slot in my Frostgrave warband led by Vaino the Enchanter (as seen here) and his well-meaning Apprentice Ilmar. So he also counts as a useful start in my Frostgrave Duel with Millsy, though I think I can expect a swift counterattack, since young Michael has never been one to let the grass grow under his feet...

Next up was this little vignette, Delenda Est...




My meditation on the human condition in the form of the ghosts of the past confronting the warriors of the modern age; the spirit of a departed Carthaginian soldier awoken by the tumult of war in 1943.

This was to have been my entry for the first Bonus Round, 'Armour', but exactly as happened last year, the best laid schemes o' mice an' men gang aft a-gley. Oh well, live and learn (hopefully).

I've had a lot of encouraging comments on the piece, and as this is the first WWII tank I've painted in over three decades, I'm gratified at the response. I might have to rustle up some more down the track!

So that's the story so far - I've cleared the decks to try and remedy the options paralysis I've been experiencing, and hope that this will enable me to focus properly on the task at hand.

Stay tuned...

Ev

9 comments :

  1. Inspired job, love the Carthaginian soldier (and his own base), Tien an Menh is not so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job mate!
    See you at CanCon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul!

      Can't make Cancon though, we'll just be getting back from interstate the day before!

      Delete
  3. Love them both, Evan! The tanker meets Carthos is damn clever. History is a wheel and the ancient warrior can see himself in the tanker. I'd love to sit down and talk to either of these warriors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Small in volume , high in originality , works just fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, I wish I could spend more time at the paint bench, but the weather here in Sydney this summer is ludicrously hot. Last night didn't go below 30C!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...