Monday 17 April 2017

Peking in a Box - Terrain Part 3 - Small Shrine

I'm on something of a roll at the moment with the 55 Days at Peking terrain. Every time I think I've had enough for a day or three something pops into my head and I can't help finding myself back at the modelling desk cutting, gluing and pinning for my life.

With Box One nearly full I've moved onto Box Two and this time I've been building a small shrine. Unlike the houses I built earlier this week, the shrine uses a couple of cheap fleaBay finds in the form of a pine tree and a statue. I also raised SWMBO's craft cupboard for some beads.


The roof of the shrine "deliberately" (OK maybe I accidentally cut the roof too long [ahem]) projects out over the statue to keep the weather off.


There's a path running down the middle of the courtyard to the statue which I will border with gardens composed of rocks, gravel and some plants.


The pine tree is growing out of a raised bank and is removable for ease of storage.


To door or not to door? Part of me wants this kept simple...


Of all the buildings so far I've enjoyed this one the most. I didn't plan it much at all and just let it evolve as I worked on it.

I'm glad I started work with the simple building as despite the fact I've done a lot of cork scratch building over the years I am noticing a clear improvement in skills in just a few days. Things like the joins at roof peaks and mitre cuts have all neatened up significantly. This means the bigger ticket items like the legations should look the best and as they are the centrepiece of the table there will be less obvious issues to distract the eye.

Cheers,
Millsy

10 comments :

  1. Atmospheric and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work Millsy, and an inspired idea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great going mate, can't wait to see all these beauties painted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I turn my back for a couple of days and what happens? You only go and build an entire hutong's worth of houses!
    ; )
    Splendid work there, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a wonderful building. The statue fits in very well. Great idea! Cheers, Karl

    ReplyDelete
  6. This shrine is quite good, and reminds me of a Buddhist temple near where I live.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...