Sunday 1 November 2015

Frostgrave Zombies - Skin Tones WIP

Here's the progress to date on my mighty undead horde for Frostgrave (all three of them).

I found myself on a bit of a roll, and decided to begin painting one of the Mantic Zombies while I was still feeling motivated.

For the test fig, I went for a base coat of mixed GW Nurgling Green and Bleached Bone, since the wonderful old 'Rotting Flesh' has been discontinued. More Bleached Bone was added to the mix for highlights, and the models were then given a wash of Agrax Earthshade to grubby them up and bring out the detail.

Open wounds were painted in GW Scab Red, and some more highlights picked out in pure Bleached Bone. I decided to go for a compromise skin tone, something suggesting corruption as well as mummification - sort of an 'Ötzi the Iceman with jaundice' look. And let's face it, Frostgrave zombies have been trapped inside a glacier for centuries, so they will look a little bit like our Tyrolean friend!

Hey, kids, it's everyone's favourite Chalcolithic Ice Mummy, Ötzi!

So, one quick coat of yellow glaze, followed by a wash of Reikland Flesh to give the skin a russet tone, and voilà!

Still have to get to work on the clothing, base, and facial details such as eyes and teeth, but I think this test figure is about right in the skin department.

More later, stay tuned!

Ev

10 comments :

  1. Very nice - Ötzi is a good model for 'frozen zombie' skin colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yip, that works.Proper scary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks chaps, I'll try it out on the other two and see how it goes. More soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing a little moisturiser wouldn't fix :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I woke up this morning feeling like Ötzi looks - I stayed up far later than I should have thanks to this project!

      Delete
  5. Good to see people taking the time to get their zombie colours historically accurate. The Wargames Fashion Police approve.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say, old boy. What a terribly frightful looking chap.
    Nice skin colour though!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...